There are times in a person's life where it is important to talk to another person. In a perfect world, there is a close friend, clergy or a mental health professional available to talk to.
But the world isn't always perfect, is it?
Perhaps you live in a remote location where resources are few. Perhaps the only therapists to talk to are folks you work with every day in the community...or maybe that you are the therapist or other health care provider and there is no one available to you for support.
It's hard to feel like you have something that would benefit from processing with someone and not have anyone around to talk to.
Conexus Counselling offers video therapy to clients who feel it would be a helpful benefit. There are a few things you should know.
- We use a program called SimplePractice. We use this because of the high level of security that is provided, and because it doesn't require any downloading of software. Many of the more common forms of live video online do not provide this level of security. You receive an email from one of our client care managers providing you with access information that is exclusive to your session with the therapist.
- Video therapy sessions are meaningful and helpful...however, we find that they there is something that is difficult to put into words..a certain sort of energy...that is lost when the therapist and clients aren't in the same room. You need to be aware that the outcome of therapy may be different than if the therapy was "face to face"
- Technology is great...when it works. And it doesn't always work. We both give you and get a back up telephone number so that in the event of signal failure, the session can continue via telephone. Occasionally, it requires starting the meeting again. This can happen when signal quality is less than ideal, which can vary depending on the quality of the signal in your area. In remote and northern regions, signal quality can vary.
- If requested, Melanie or Amy will arrange a brief "trial" of the video conferencing technology with you sometime prior to the session to familiarize you with the process, to allow you to be able to focus on the session, rather than the technology.
- It is not feasible to use the Feedback Enhanced Therapy process that we use with clients in our office. Therefore, the therapist will be more deliberate with a "check in" with you at the beginning of a session, and carefully debrief what the session was like for you at the end of each session verbally as part of ending the session.
- It is a very strong preference that video therapy counselling be done as part of a larger therapy relationship with the counsellor, that includes periodic trips into Winnipeg, for sessions with the therapist in our offices.
- The counselling is considered to be located in Winnipeg, Manitoba where the therapist is located. Clients must be in Canada for insurance purposes.
Payment for video therapy sessions: